Thursday, September 29, 2011

We all have them

     We all have them...chocolate, salty things, sweets, t.v., money...when it's that time of the month...anything and everything!  The question is: Where do those cravings come from?
     I have wondered that same thing for a long time...and why we have them.  I did a devotion about 2 months ago entitled Craving God.  In this book it talks about this exact thing and mostly relates it to food but I believe it can apply to any aspect of life that you "crave."
     The definition of crave is this: to ask for earnestly or to long for eagerly.  When we crave things, whatever it may be, it is a really strong indication that we are missing something and our body or spirit needs to be filled.  We fill it at the time and the next day or hour even, the craving comes back and the whole cycle repeats itself.  I used to have cravings for a lot of things..food, facebook, people, money--anything that I thought would make those go away.  Well, what if, we are actually craving God and HIS word? 
       When I started doing a daily bible study and started filling myself with God and his word my cravings for a lot of those things went away.  I think cravings are God's way of trying to get our attention.  I used a lot of my "cravings" as ways to not make me feel so lonely or to get a few minutes of adult interaction.  What I found is now God is my company, every day, all day.  He is the best interaction I could have!  I still have the desire to watch t.v., hang out with friends or have the occasional junk food but now it's not because I am lonely it's because I just choose to do those things.  God and HIS word are my fulfillment these days:)
    

Lesson: God is ALL we need to feel fulfilled.  Cravings do not come from God, they come from a place of lonliness and longing for something that only HE can fulfill.

Psalm 20:1-5- May the Lord answer you when you are in distress; may the name of the God of Jacob protect you.  May he send you help from the sanctuary and grant you support from Zion.  May he remember all your sacrifices and accept your burnt offerings.  May he give you the desire of your heart and make all your plans succeed.  We will shout for joy when you are victorious and will lift up our banners in the name of our God.  May the Lord grant all your requests.
    

1 comment:

  1. Oh that's beautiful I love it. Great insight.

    ReplyDelete