Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Running the Race

     As many people know I am a runner.  I have been on and off my entire life but consistently for the last 4 years.  I remember as a kid and teenager my dad dragging my brother and I out of bed on a saturday morning and making us get on our bikes and go with him!  Of course, as a kid I disliked getting up that early in the morning but the quality time it gave me with my dad was worth it.  I remember being a "sherpa" for my dad at his races and being there to cheer him on.  So naturally when I started running regularly I knew I wanted to race as well.  The adrenaline for me was the same as when I would get on stage and dance!  I love it...
     Over the summer my mother in law saw a duathlon being advertised (biking and running) and asked me if I wanted to do it.  Which worked out perfect, she doesn't run and I don't bike!  Well, it turned out my dad was off that weekend so him and my father in law were on a team and me and my mother in law were on one.  We started off running really well, we finished our first leg in 18 minutes!  Then our teammates took off biking and when they got back we took off for our second 2 mile run.  The first 2 mile run I ran with my dad but the second one I was on my own as my father in law got back from biking first.  As I was running(without music) I said okay God...it's just you and me.  So I started asking God to quiz me on scripture to keep my mind on him and not how far I had to run.  Finally I remembered the verse in Isaiah..I will run and not grow weary, I will walk and not faint.  Well, of course that was perfect.  As I approached the last mile and my legs decided they had had enough(because we had an hour break in between each run) I said that verse over and over.  Everytime I was tired "my father" allowed me to pass another runner to reenergize me!  I finished in 22 minutes!


Lesson: When we think we are tired and weary and can't take anymore our Father is always there helping us to "pass someone or something" to reenergize us!  And maybe when we are tired and weary that is our chance to spend some quality time with our Father.

Isaiah 40:30-31- Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope the Lord will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not faint

No comments:

Post a Comment